A transatlantic transition.
Posted by Big John on February 16, 2008
Leaving politics aside, I have always had a soft spot for America and it’s people, so my last post got me thinking about what has arrived in this country from the USA during my lifetime, some welcome and some not so welcome. Listed below are a few of my pet hates 🙂 and some of my all time favourites …
I could have done without …
- Baseball caps, especially when worn at all angles.
musicand the ‘gangsta’ culture that goes with it.
- Hamburgers, fries (It’s bloody CHIPS !), junk food in general, the habit of eating in the street and the litter left behind.
- Cheerleaders. It’s just not British old boy: although I could get used to those young ladies from Dallas.
- Reality TV shows. It all started with Candid Camera.
- Parking meters and the wheel clamp (‘Denver boot’).
- Barbecues, which ruin a summer’s day by stinking up the neighbourhood.
- TV audience over-reaction, especially on ‘talk shows’. All that bleedin’ yelling, whistling, stamping and screaming usually to greet some ‘celeb’ who is completely unknown to me.
- Budweiser, Rolling Rock, and all those other beers which get drunk straight from the bottle.
- The shopping mall, otherwise known as the home of the living dead.
- All that ‘skinny latte mocha’ crap spoken in all those places where they sell expensive coffee in cheap ‘paper’ cups.
- Double names like Billy Bob, Ellie May and Cindy Lou. These should be reserved for people in those parts of the USA where they play banjos and diddle their sisters.
- ‘Trick or Treat’, along with all the other ‘special occasions’ which we copy so badly when conned into taking part by greedy UK retailers.
- Peanut butter … with ‘jelly’ ? … Arghh ! … Quick ! Pass the bucket.
- Religious nutters who knock on my door trying to ‘save’ me.
- Chewing gum. Take a look at the pavement (sidewalk), and Manchester United’s open mouthed masticating manager, Alex Ferguson.
- All those TV soap operas. Did we really care who shot JR ? … and …
- Those bits of the American ‘Language’ which have snuck in over the years.
OK! .. So now for some of those more welcome imports from across the Atlantic …
Those ‘over paid, over sexed and over here’ G.I.s, without whom I might now have been speaking German.
Spam. I still eat it.
Hollywood movies. A lifetime’s entertainment.
Motels. Remember searching for a boarding house ?
Classic TV series like … Dragnet … M.A.S.H. … NYPD Blue … The Sopranos … and many more.
Tourists (well the quieter ones anyway), as they always call me .. “Sir”.
Rock ‘n’ Roll, which helped turn me into a first generation teenager.
T shirts and jeans. Made that ‘first generation teenager’ imagine that he was James Dean.
Coca Cola, but only with rum added.
Jack Daniel’s .. No Coke needed.
Lots of great music from the likes of Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and so many others.
Pool, which, unlike snooker or billiards, can be played by almost anyone.
The ATM, (See, a bit of ‘American’ just snuck in) our Cash Point Machine.
… America ! You have a lot to answer for ! 🙂